Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **January 2011**

Administrator Forum Administrator fiftyeighthens's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **January 2011**

Another month, another great crop of entries for the Brawl in the Family Art Competition! January's theme was Invasion of the Family, tasking entrants to incorporate original BitF characters into their work. It was a real treat to see what everyone came up with, and we hope you enjoy the following nominees as much as we did!
    (Entries are listed in alphabetical order.)

Ame-Nami's entry

Bizarre doppelgangers have invaded the world of Professor Layton! Nobody knows for sure what's behind this phenomenon, but sometimes stuff exists that looks like other stuff, and sometimes such things can be kind of weird. We really felt for Luke in this situation, who seems to be terribly confused by this turn of events. Ame-Nami's charming art style lends much to the tone of the piece.

Clandy's entry

Not-Kirby just wants to have friends, but the Waddle Dees and Doos seem to think he just wants to have lunch. It's too bad they're so quick to judge a book by its cover - after all, everyone deserves to be judged not by their appearance, but by the content of their character. The emotions of the characters in this piece are clear and touching, and it's drawn in a very cute and rounded manner.

Deckard Canine's entry

A sun that doesn't know its own strength would really be a problem for Link, who seems to be constantly messing around with the rotation of his planet for his own selfish needs. Every "Dawn of a New Day" would wash blazing waves of heat upon the planet as the overly-friendly solar body peeks down to see what's goin' on. We thought the idea behind this submission was quite clever!

Detta's entry

Here, Not-Kirby gets mistaken for something else entirely, the... missing head of a Porygon-Z? Not-Kirby is perfectly content to go along with it, and is adorably surprised to have a chance encounter with Not-Jigglypuff. The cute art and innocent characterization make this entry quite endearing.

Metaknight4ever's entry

This comic explains a lot. Maybe if Mario just skipped the fire flowers in SMB3, he wouldn't have to worry about being attacked by the freakin' sun. I'd say it's worth a shot, because personally, I don't know how I'd handle having a giant ball of flaming gas trying to mess up my day. The art in this entry recalls Matthew's own style and effectively portrays the sun's fickle and vulnerable personality.

Platypus18's entry

Waluigi seems to have found a way to be slightly useful, which is much more impressive than pretty much everything else he's ever done. Whatever the relationship between him and Eario, things appear to be going quite swimmingly between them. The scene is almost suspiciously happy, which is supported by the textures and cheery colors that were selected.

Spazboy225's entry

Snake's butt in a Spazboy225 submission? This unexpected reveal is supported by Spazboy225's typically lovely art and great expressions. Eario would have his hands full on Shadow Moses; although Snake sells himself as a sneaky sort of guy, he pretty much always leaves a big mess wherever he goes. I'll have a hard time getting this final panel out of my mind.

thebovine's entry

That Poltergust sure would make a good bit Eario's cleaning a lot easier! Oddly enough, in Luigi's Mansion, the dusty rooms never seem to get fully clean, no matter how much you vacuum them. Perhaps this is haunted dust? In any case, Eario is looking plump as ever as he contemplates taking advantage of the Poltergust's availability, but I like to imagine that he wouldn't risk interfering with Luigi, and he'd stick to his broom in the end.

TNT98's entry

I wonder what ability Kirby has gained here. It seems that he's swallowed a bunch of BitF characters and received a bunch of apparently useless qualities. I imagine he can clean clocks pretty well, but most of these other characters wouldn't offer anything nearly as useful as a Falcon Punch or a Cutter. Cute renderings of the characters and cleverly combining them into one Kirby make this entry successful.

Uncle Bellman's entry

Okay, now this should actually be a game. Uncle Bellman pulled out all the stops and fleshed out Chain Link's world with an expertly-designed Ganon and Zelda! It just looks great, too. I'd totally play this game, and I'm starting to wonder why Nintendo hasn't made it yet. I mean, come on, they read BitF, right? What's the hold up, Shiggy?

Honorable Mention: Trebor Almasy's entry

The artist requested to not be considered for competition in the contest, but we couldn't let this entry slip by without giving it some recognition! These beautiful depictions of Eario at work show his dedication to his craft and the unfortunate incidents he always seems to run into. Even through all these trying times, at the end of the day he'll have things as clean as a whistle! Still, not a job I'd like to have.

And the winner is...

Uncle Bellman's entry!

It's always tough for us to pick a winner, but this entry made it a little easier this month! The great art is just one part of it: we love the design work that went into fleshing out Chain Link himself along with the logo, the background, and the other two characters. Just a great submission!

As always, we really appreciate everyone's participation in the contest! Head over to the February contest thread to see great new art and contribute your own! Thanks again, everyone.

Banned

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **January 2011**

If you don't mind me asking, what prevented my entry from becoming a runner-up? I'd like to improve, but I don't know where I failed. :/

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

They don't really give feedback. You learn after a few contests what they like in an entry and what they don't.

Coolness, I'm back to my runner-up prowess. Now I have to make sure to win this month's contest

Very nice work, everybody. Congrats, Uncle Bellman, on your winning - definitely rightfully so. :P I'd so buy that game (that's more than I can say for Skyward Sword...)

I honestly don't feel that I shoulda made runners-up, but thanks anyway. LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Detta View Post
    They don't really give feedback. You learn after a few contests what they like in an entry and what they don't.
    May I respectfully ask you for a hint then? I'm a tad new 'round here.

Ouch, my entry isn't a runner-up at all.

But I already thought Uncle Bellman would win with his entry. I even faved it on deviantART.

Congrats, Bellman!
    Expecting a signature?

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

The entries were a lot trickier this time around. Normally, when trying to narrow it down to ten, I'll pick maybe 16 or 17 favorites and then pick my favorite ten from there.

This month, I started with 23...and yes, both of yours were considered!

What made it difficult this time was that there were so many comic submissions, which are a little harder to judge against still images. I pretty much considered any submission that made me chuckle or smile, but beyond that, it was a pretty difficult process of determining which ideas were the funniest and/or which pieces of art we enjoyed the most. It was a pretty tough call, but please don't get discouraged!
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Star Warrior

Yay, the third time was a charm for me! Or fifth, if you count each entry rather than each contest. I'll never be #1 for a contest, but runner-up's enough.

And I'm glad my top choice was TFB's as well!

Shucks, people. I don't know what else to say! Thanks for all the awesome comments, and for a great competition! And best of luck with all future competitions, folks!

At first, I was kinda worried that using such an obscure original character would cut me some points. I mean, Eario, the sun, Dededoo or even Mr Flower are much better representatives of the original BitF cast than a temporary wordplay. xP Ame-Nami beat me in terms of obscure grounds, though, and did extremely well with the concept! EDIT: And of course, GigaNerd17 made the most rad move!

About Trebor Almasy's entry, which in itself is freaking wonderful (and in my opinion the best one around)... TB, are you now considering using gloves like those for Eario, or is the current design established? With janitorial outfits being his theme, gloves like those were an impressive touch, I think.
    Last edited by Uncle Bellman; February 11th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Stand aside, tubby! You're stepping on a midget with money!

Cute Little Poot

Great choices for the most part, but I was really disappointed to find that GigaNerd17's wonderful entry wasn't even a runner up!
    Honestly in a Blizzard of, wonderful, Eario and Dededoo entries, GigaNerd's use of BitF's most obcure minor characters really stood out among the rest in my eyes.
    Oh well, I hope GigaNerd contributes to this month's contest. Speaking of which, I'd better start working on my own two art concepts!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas J. View Post
    Honestly in a Blizzard of, wonderful, Eario and Dededoo entries, GigaNerd's use of BitF's most obcure minor characters really stood out among the rest in my eyes.
    I thought that cat was from this comic, and not from that one.
    Expecting a signature?

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

Congradulations, Uncle Bellman! You're now in the hall of winning entries! What are you gonna do next?

I, however, am taking this month off. I have too much schoolwork and I've been commissioned to make a flash for someone. Also I got a pic. request or two... just too much on my platter.

Good luck in February, everyone!
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

Banned

Great choices for the most part, but I was really disappointed to find that GigaNerd17's wonderful entry wasn't even a runner up!
    Oh well, I hope GigaNerd contributes to this month's contest. Speaking of which, I'd better start working on my own two art concepts!
    Thanks for the love, Doug! I'm glad I wasn't forgotten!

But yeah, Arend's right: the cat is from the Lucario comic. I didn't remember Master Belch's cat when I made my entry, but if I had, I think it would've been a bit too hard to "gangsta-fy".

I think I've figured out what made me lose not win: outside-of-the-box creativity. But I'll make sure to keep it up until it succeeds. My next entry is going to be just as creative!

Don't worry, TB: I might be a tad discouraged right now, but I'll be fine in a day or so. Getting runner-up in December proves that I'm not luckless!

Yeah, a hall! Thanks! :D Speaking of which, I find it strange the December winner entry never showed up on the fan works page.

Anyway, as for now, I think I'm sitting out a month too. I have another BitF related idea, but it just doesn't fit the theme without radical modification, so I might make that one outside of any contest. I'll see. For now, I think I need to focus on getting a certain unholy resume done...

And yeah, good luck to everyone in the February contest! :D
    That's exactly the kind of spirit I want to hear, GigaNerd! You're back on your feet again!
    Stand aside, tubby! You're stepping on a midget with money!

Wow. That Chain Link picture was incredibly done! Definitely would have gotten my vote for winner!

Chain Link... that was brilliant. I had missed it in the original thread, so seeing it here was a pleasant surprise, and I figured it would end up the winner. Ganon looked especially interesting. Now I want that game!

Cute Little Poot

Quote Originally Posted by Arend View Post
    I thought that cat was from this comic, and not from that one.
    Doh! Considering the fact that comic 80 is one of my favorites, I should've noticed that cat! But I think that's why I loved that entry so much; I love the concept of those one-shot-original-characters that pretty much nobody remembers being shunned in favor of recurring original characters, losing their jobs to help a fan with their fan art; eventually becoming poor, I imagine that fate brought them together (Perhaps the Dog's owner came across the injured cat for example) and they became a gang straight outa a S.E. Hilton novel: Men, mammals, mushrooms, and undead men all with hearts of gold, that have been hardened by suffering, prejudice and poverty.

Or maybe I've read too many S.E. Hilton novels And what really makes me like the art are the eye-patches, wanted poster tattoos, and sunglasses. On a flippin' Super Mexican Mushroom!

Oh and keep in mind, I'm not saying Chain Link shouldn't have won, it deserves the number one spot IMO, but I wish that this particular entry got more attention. But then again, that fits in with the concept of the drawing: the characters that were all ignored.
    Last edited by Douglas J.; February 12th, 2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Added a bit

How many people called Uncle Bellman or Trebor when they saw their entry?

Trebor, I think that your entry is the start of new saga, I wonder if Nintendo takes ideas for game, because this would be awesome; Oh yeah, great entry, you have a great future here in the art contest winner and runner ups.

Spazboy, whats this, 7th time runner up? but, can't you just whip up a small, Snake butt influenced Valentine entry?

Congrats everyone! ^-^
    awesome entries. ( '-')b
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

Banned

Oh and keep in mind, I'm not saying Chain Link shouldn't have won, it deserves the number one spot IMO, but I wish that this particular entry got more attention. But then again, that fits in with the concept of the drawing: the characters that were all ignored.
    Dang! Hadn't realized that. So it was the subject that jinxed me?

I just noticed something; fiftyeighthens, you said that Chain Link and the two other characters looked great, but how could you ingore the awesome lightbulb Navi?

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

THIS WAS EXPECTED.

Great job there Bellman, you were my top pick The lighting of your piece was what really got me if the incredible details weren't enough.

Congratulations to all the runner-ups too!

And-wait-whut? My joke also got runner-up? Uh OKAY.

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Cute Little Poot

Quote Originally Posted by GigaNerd17 View Post
    Dang! Hadn't realized that. So it was the subject that jinxed me?
    It's either that or the fact that those unexpected doppelgangers steal attention from other entries.

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

It's either that or the fact that those unexpected doppelgangers steal attention from other entries.
    Uh.......*looks away feeling guilty*

Quote Originally Posted by GigaNerd17 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what prevented my entry from becoming a runner-up? I'd like to improve, but I don't know where I failed. :/
    If you'd like my advice, I think it's because you had flaws concerning the theme. From what I've gathered, the judges look for pieces that take the theme and interpret it in a fun and unique way while still being coherent to the fact that this is a BitF contest, not any ol' Nintendo contest.
    You definitely thought outside the box with your entry, but only hit half the criteria:
    The theme was to take original BitF characters (which you did a good job of) and then place them in a nintendo environment or have them interact with other game characters. That's what's missing from your otherwise impressive entry. Of course, I'm not TB, so this is only my two cents.

But while I can't accurately tell you what's right and wrong, I CAN give some artistic advice. Your entry does not have a strong and rooted composition. The characters looked like they were simply "put" onto the paper instead of dividing negative(empty/background) space and positive(subject/foreground) space in an artistic manner.I'm also not quite sure what's happening in the background and how that relates to the subjects as it's a bit too bold and draws the eye away from the characters.

I hope this was more or less helpful and I apologize if I was a little too harsh

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Actually GigaNerd, we quite liked your "forgotten characters" entry and had fun discovering which comics each character was from. But a few important factors go into the judging criteria--art quality is generally the biggest, but adherence to the theme and creativity are also definitely applicable as well. So if an entry might not look as nice but still has a great idea (and/or clever humor) and utilizes the theme well, it still certainly has a chance at being an entry!

The tricky thing was, the above applied to a whole lot of entries this month, much more than usual. So it became a pretty close race between a plethora of entries that I had to narrow down from a big number of submissions that I liked, yours included.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Thread Information