Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **November 2010**

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **November 2010**

November's contest is all wrapped up! Thanks again to all the quality artists who entered and gave us a plethora of solid admissions to check out. The theme for November was Famous Works of Art, so without further ado, let's get to the good stuff...

**note: for you younger viewers out there, keep in mind that some of the famous art that served as inspiration for this contest may contain some nudity. Nothing obscene, of course, but if you've never seen a nude statue before, you may want to head on out**

belljelly's entry
    Based on Pierre-Auguste Renoir's "Dance at Bougival"

Kirby helps Adeleine pose similarly to one of her favorite paintings. But then...who's going to paint this? Why, belljelly, of course, submitting what's one of the cutest entries I've seen in these contests. It's a relatively simple image but the fun and charm of it fit the spirit of BitF well, and you gotta love Kirby's solution to being a little taller.

Clandy's entry: "Captain Falcon David"
    Based on Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni's "David"

FALCON STRIP! Oh dear, I wonder what Samus would think of this sculpture...it's debatable whether even Snake's glutes can compare with the Captain Falcon's chiseled pecs! Our very first BitF Fan Art winner Clandy returns with a rather striking take on Michelangelo's David, and an amusing form of self-censorship that definitely works in the good captain's favor. Like with the previous entry submitted by this artist, Clandy's linework and coloring are quite clean and professional!

Garfunkeless's entry

Based on several works

Hey, a nine-in-one val-u-pak! This amusing strip speaks for itself, a sort of bizarre art version of Face-Off. See how many of the references you can recognize for yourself! Dedede's various faces here are really fun too.

Grape fruit's entry: "The Birth of Zero Suit Samus"
    Based on Sandro Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus"

The Snake/Falcon/Samus triangle comes to a head when Samus removes her suit! The connections to the original painting are quite clever, including Kirby holding Samus's "clothes," and a snaggle-toothed Waluigi apparently trying to get them back on her (that or he's just grabbing the Ball to unleash his own horrifying final smash). The use of the characters is inspired and the art has a great use of color and depth!

jdaster64's entry
    Based on Norman Rockwell's "The Plumbers"

Some creative liberties were taken with this image, but the core remains true to the original: a plumber playfully spraying his bro in the face with perfume. Naturally, Mario and Luigi fit the mold nicely, and the small details of the bathroom (such as the 1-up painting and the flowers) complete the picture. Good work with a fun image, jdaster64!

Kestre_Wynde's entry: "Misplaced Revenge"
    Based on Katsushika Hokusai's "The Great Wave Off Kanagawa"

Watch out, Link! Looks like you sailed off to the far east, into one of the most famous Japanese woodcuts known to man or Hylian. Cyclos wasn't thrilled that you pelted him with arrows, so he's decided to kill you. Fortunately, you can at least find some solace that this exciting scene was captured for all to see by artist Kestre_Wynde, rendered in lavish detail so that all the world may know how severely your butt was kicked by the ocean.

Metaknight4ever's entry: "Composition II Canvas Curse"
    Based on Piet Mondrian's "Composition II"

Waluigi might say it's "TERRIBLE," but I definitely think this BitF take on Mondrian's minimalism is a good 'un. Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede each match their assigned "colors" (pink/red, blue, yellow) very well, and are all drawn nicely. It also gives me the eerie feeling that I'm being watched through semi-transparent windows. Spooky...

MelonKirby's entry: "Bitfescher"
    Based on M. C. Escher's "Relativity"

Ah, the controlled madness of the world of Escher. I especially like the controlled shading in this one; a nice approximation of Escher's style while still fitting the simplistic world of Kirby. And the linework is all top-notch as well. Dedede, you're never gonna get that Kirby at this rate...!

Preasure's entry: "Adeleine Leading the People"
    Based on Eugène Delacroix's "Lady Liberty Leading the People"

The Mushroom Kingdom has once again become a war-ravaged battlefield of destruction. But this time, taking the paint-spewing torch in leading the troops to victory is none other than Adeleine! Snake seems to have collapsed butt-side-up in the chaos, while Luigi solemnly fears that he may be the next to fall. And don't think I didn't see Peppy peeking out of the background there, Preasure! Quite sneaky...

sevenstitch's entry: "Samus"
    Based on Andy Warhol's "Marilyn"

I could definitely see Samus as the Marilyn Monroe of gaming. Of course, one major difference is Samus's tendencies to be completely covered up, so here we've got a multicolored look at gaming's prime bounty hunter, all suited up for action. This is the kind of image Mother Brain must see in her nightmares.

Spazboy225's entry: "The Buttruvian Man"
    Based on Leonardo da Vinci's "The Vitruvian Man"

What finer specimen of masculinity could there be than Solid Snake? Thankfully, the gruff-voiced ladykiller has opted to turn his back towards the viewer, giving a fine view of what we all came here to see. Artist Spazboy225's infamous signature, Snake's prominent posterior, once again squeezes its way into a famous image. And as usual, the shading, coloring, and depth are disturbingly accurate...

Now then! We threw around a lot of suggestions for our favorite, but in the end, there can only be one monthly winner. So for the November 2010 BitF Fan Art contest, the winner is...

Preasure!

Adeleine leads this dynamic image to victory thanks to its nice use of the characters' various personalities, an expressive visual style, and the great smoke effect that gives a tense atmosphere to the proceedings.

Congrats Preasure, and thanks to all of our talented entrants! Now get into the holiday spirit with our December contest. See you there!
    Last edited by fiftyeighthens; December 5th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **November 2010**

meh, I dunno why I even got a runner up

I don't really "get" the winning entry, and I preferred a lot of runner-ups images (no offense intended to Preasure but yeah), but okay
    here we go December

oh yeah congrats everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Metaknight4ever View Post
    meh, I dunno why I even got a runner up

I don't really "get" the winning entry, and I preferred a lot of runner-ups images (no offense intended to Preasure but yeah), but okay
    here we go December

oh yeah congrats everyone
    You should be proud of yourself then.

And now I know why Triforcebun put that warning. Because of Snake's butt. N' other stuff.

I like Preasure's because Ferg would like the blankeyedness for some reason I find it so colorful. (No offense to others)

Randomness everywhere ... You can expect that from now on.

"I have no idea!"- Medic and Pinkie Pie

Hmm... I preferred a lot of the runner-ups this year but good job Preasure.

I'll try and enter this month's contest.

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

disturbingly accurate
    Actually, It's the most annotomically correct picture I've drawn...

...Butt to be honest, I think "Misplaced Revenge" should have won.
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

Lost Levels C-3 >:(=( jdaster64's Avatar

Typo on mine, it's "Norman Rockwell", but chances are I misspelled it anyway. I have a horrible time differentiating the two myself when I type.

Congrats, Preasure and everyone else!
    Last edited by jdaster64; December 5th, 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Check out my piano arrangements of video game music here!
    3DS Friend Code: 4141-3026-8303 ("Lucas" in Pokémon X, FS: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, Drifblim)

Clandy?! That's who that was? wow

great job Preasure!

Great Job Everyone!

I Noticed something, Maybe I didn't look closely but out of all the nominees there was no Pokemon Characters in either..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mouser
    All users go. I may soon disappear. There is no need to dawdle on in the past. Let my words enlighten anyone who reads them.
    Tumblr - mint0h

And Their Refinement of The Decline

My extremely low-effort entries should've won this. It isn't even debatable.
    Love is so short, forgetting is so long. - Neruda

Where's Peppy? And you'd expect Adaline to use thinner to rid the battlefield of the "corpses", right?

Either way, I liked Kestre_Wynde's entry. Maybe because it's my favorite paining and the idea is perfect. I was gonna use the same painting but with Surfin' Bird Yarn Kirby riding the wave with Waddle Dees and Dedede getting sea sick in the boats, but never had the time. Also, the idea for "Plumbers" was spot on.

Can't wait for December submissions!

This user listens to video game music.

Congrats everyone, especially Preasure! I can definitely see why your work was chosen, I think the style is wonderfully unique. I must say that I think the shading is somewhat too soft though, but other than that, great job! I especially like the colour and lineweight of Samus in the background, too bad there isn't more of her.

One of my personal favourites this time is Garfunkless's work. Love the style, and so many parodies in a single entry! Recommendation though: The colour of your comic suffered somewhat from image compression (a noticable example is the fourth panel. Green kirby appears to have an aura), . It's generally best to save works of art as PNGs.

Oh, and I'm really glad that I got runner-up! Thanks you!
    I'll (hopefully) have something better made for the next competition!

Leenk.
    In Hyrule, 32nd Street, Kaikariko Village

Good job to everyone.

Yeah, apparently I'm so bad I got taken down with a MINIMALIST entry.

(sarcasm)That's the highlight of my day! (/sarcasm)
    Last edited by Kirby Drawer Guy; December 6th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
    Navi: "HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN!"

Me: " Yes, Navi, I know we're supposed to be in the stinkin' water temple."

Star Warrior

Last time I enter a BitF contest expecting any recognition. And since this is a busy month, I probably won't enter at all this time.

Know my power ... in art. SonicStar23750's Avatar

I totally had no chance in this contest. Oh well. At least the next theme is promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard Canine View Post
    Last time I enter a BitF contest expecting any recognition. And since this is a busy month, I probably won't enter at all this time.

Aw, don't say that. Your entry was good. At least you were able to come up with a good idea (unlike me ).

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Drawer Guy View Post
    Yeah, apparently I'm so bad I got taken down with a MINIMALIST entry.

(sarcasm)That's the highlight of my day! (/sarcasm)
    well that didn't sound very nice of you to say at all considering I think that the only minimalist entry was mine

maybe you should pay less attention to the minimalist painting and more attention to the style of painting you tried to copy, which apparently you probably didn't do as well as the other people who did win, and if so, compare your work to theirs and see why Matt and Chris and the invisible man chose them and not you

maybe it wasn't that you were so bad, but that there's like a limited number of runner ups
    if everybody could be a runner up, then they'd just copy/paste the entry thread here
    I don't even remember what anybody's entry was so yeah I dunno

EDIT: that's for everyone to consider, not EVERYBODY can be a runner up, so maybe you were great but just couldn't make the cut compared to the other entries as a whole
    no one should get discouraged over this particular contest, particularly since it's one of those contests where you can't really draw in your own style and you're trying to emulate something (which can be difficult you know yeah)

This account is so outdated...wow... Crabmaster's Avatar

WOOT!! They all look awesome!!! Now for me to make a REAL entry and put it in this months.

Thanks for this, Brawl Girl! Ah Monstah's Avatar

All these were just awesome. Hopefully, I can get motivated for the next theme.

Sigpic by Mint. Fangs for it!...Wait, I don't have any. THE PUN IS LOST.

Thank you very much for the recognition and the compliments. :D It is great being a runner up among so many other wonderful entries. In all honesty though; my entry (the Escher one) used a Photoshop filter in order to achieve that shading effect.

In Animal Crossing New Leaf: I'm Clara, the Mayor of Poptown. My dream address is 4300 - 2726 - 0808. Feel free to come and visit!

Thread Information