Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 8 -- January 2011 Edition~

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 8 -- January 2011 Edition~

Forgive the lateness of this entry, dear readers! A few board shenanigans and some vacation trickery delayed the contest this month, but we're extending the deadline to later than usual as well: 11:59 PM, February 6th, 2011!

The BitF Fan Art Contests debuted in 2010 with a plethora of beautiful entries from month to month, so thank you to all our dedicated artists who've kept this aspect of BitF interesting and entertaining!

Now then, it's the first contest of a hopefully fruitful new year, so ready those kneaded erasers. First, for the uninitiated, the set of rules we adhere to are as follows:

-Any and all media is fine. Draw/scan, paint, do digital images, whatever! You can post big ol' wallpaper-sized images or even straight-up comics! The only limit is your imaaagination.

-Keep it pleasant. For content, a good rule of thumb is don't show or say anything in the art that you'd never find in a Nintendo-published game or a BitF strip. So keep it a light PG at worst, please.

-It should be original! Mash-ups and borrowed Nintendo art (including sprites) probably won't win you any awards. It's possible someone might do something extremely creative by using official art, but for the most part it'd be best to avoid this.

-Post it here, or failing that, you may email or PM us images if you'd like! The simplest way to do it is just to post your artwork here in this thread for judging. Deadlines will be 11:59 PM on the last day of the month in question, although sometimes the thread may stay open for a few more hours (in which case your entries are still safe!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JUDGING CRITERIA

As always, Chris and I (Matthew, resident doodler of BitF) will be taking a look at the entries and racking our brains trying to narrow them down to just a handful. They'll be judged on composition, adherence to the theme, use of color/shading (if applicable), use of humor (if applicable), and just...like, if it's any good.

Update on judging criterion: we've noticed while judging these that we have a tendency to prefer works that feel more specifically BitF than rather Nintendo as a whole. In other words, the better you can represent the strip and characters itself, the better your chances of winning!

Also, feel free to submit multiple entries, but you're limited to three per contest! If you want to submit more than that, you'll have to pick which three you'd like us to judge. There's no limit to how many contests you can win or be nominated for, so keep the great stuff coming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so JANUARY 2011's contest! We'll delve into the weirder rogue's gallery of BitF this month; the peculiar "non-Nintendo" characters...

This month's theme:

Invasion in the Family!

There're a bunch of kooks in Brawl in the Family who don't typically show up in Nintendo's worlds--and it's your job to fix that! Pick one or more of the original* BitF characters and let 'em loose in the environment of your choice. What if Majora's Moon met that loud, excitable sun? What other things might Eario be cleaning or maintaining in the Mushroom Kingdom? And how might Dededoo deal with Tick Tock Clock? Let your imagination run wild and see where it takes you.

*By original, I'm referring to characters that have only appeared in the BitF comic, and not in a Nintendo game, including:

-Kingsonnn Dededoo
    -HDF
    -Mr. Flower
    -The Sun
    -Eario
    -The Ugly Thing (first panel, on the left)
    -Even "bait-and-switch" characters like the Doppelgangers and that weird foot Goomba thing are fair game!
    -The same goes for background "human" characters like the elderly lady

You MAY use other BitF/Nintendo characters! In fact, it's encouraged. The only real requirement is that you must use a BitF "original" character as well.

So that's that! I may have forgotten a few others, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Now go nuts, and happy drawing!
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Banned

Re: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 8 -- January 2011 Edition~

Hmm... this contest seems a little more limiting than last year's, but at the same time, it's not.

This one's going to take a while for me to even come up with a concept! :/

The World's Biggest Procrastinator ShakerSilver's Avatar

Well this will certainly be interesting.

Also, where are the winners for December's contest?
    The one and only ShakerSilver, from YouTube, DeviantArt, and (soon) Newgrounds! GO CHECK OUT WHY I'M NOT FAMOUS! O.o

THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF!

Star Warrior

I have a few ideas now. I'll see what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakerSilver View Post
    Well this will certainly be interesting.

Also, where are the winners for December's contest?
    Sorry about the delay for that too, it'll be up tonight.

In the process of conjuring up an idea, I'm just wondering - is Master Belch a Bitf original or is he from a Nintendo game?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus18
    In the process of conjuring up an idea, I'm just wondering - is Master Belch a Bitf original or is he from a Nintendo game?
    Master Belch was a boss from EarthBound who enslaved the Mr. Saturns. I'm pretty sure he doesn't count as an original character.

Also, a question for Matt: Are we allowed to enter more than one entry?
    Last edited by GigaNerd17; January 7th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.

Yup, it's actually under "Judging Criteria" and it applies to all contests:

Also, feel free to submit multiple entries, but you're limited to three per contest! If you want to submit more than that, you'll have to pick which three you'd like us to judge. There's no limit to how many contests you can win or be nominated for, so keep the great stuff coming!

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

One question, is it supposed to be a world cross between BitF characters and Nintendo worlds, or can it be expanded a little more?
    IE: Eario 'accidentaly' finds Raiden from MGS hooked up to the torture machine while cleaning the compound.
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

better theme this time
    I might join this time too

are bots characters original to bitf

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

can I use a previous entry? I think my entry from the november contest with Mr. Sun in "The Persistence of Memory" would work pretty well.

Although I have many other ideas.... meh heh heh...

sort of related to Spazboy225's question, can I put a BitF character into a Final Fantasy VII scene? Mr. Sun replacing Sephiroth's Super Nova attack sounds too good to pass up. the first six final fantasies were on nintendo systems...
    hm... what else...

Theme sounds a tad bit tricky, but I think I'm in.

You know, I think I'll allow other video game locales as well; the comic potential seems even wider that way, so go for it!

Reusing previous entries is allowed too. Just make sure they work within the theme of the contest!

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    You know, I think I'll allow other video game locales as well; the comic potential seems even wider that way, so go for it!

Reusing previous entries is allowed too. Just make sure they work within the theme of the contest!
    Coolness! although now i'm rethinking "The Persistence of Mr. Sun", since he's not in a nintendo environment, let alone a video game one.
    Although I think my "Mr. Super Nova" idea is a go then.

EDIT: Also, TB, remember to change the link from the fan works page too.
    Just a personal opinion, it could just lead to the BitF Art Competition board. Then you wouldn't have to change the link monthly.
    Last edited by Detta; January 7th, 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Sorry about the delay for that too, it'll be up tonight.
    Well, it's 12:30 AM in Louisiana right now. I doubt we're gonna get those winners 'til tomorrow.

So my idea is not taken, it involves a cleaning co. owned by Eario and Dededoo. Would that be ok, or would I have to make it one of them paired with a Nintendo character? If so, I was wondering if Chibi Robo would be ok to use even though he's not in Bitf.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus18 View Post
    So my idea is not taken, it involves a cleaning co. owned by Eario and Dededoo. Would that be ok, or would I have to make it one of them paired with a Nintendo character? If so, I was wondering if Chibi Robo would be ok to use even though he's not in Bitf.
    I know I'm not Matt, but according to the big red text in the OP, I assume that'd be perfectly fine. However, since the judges seem to prefer entries that represent BitF specifically as opposed to Nintendo as a whole, I think it'd help your chances of winning if you included Luigi, the Animal Crossing Guy, or even King Dedede instead.

If you aren't as worried about winning, then by all means ignore me; I'm just trying to help a fellow artist! ;D
    --GigaNerd17

Hm, I hadn't even thought about someone just basing it off two original BitF characters. I'm going to go ahead and say that's perfectly fine...although I think for your idea, a reference to Chibi Robo (even in a background role) could strengthen the image!

EDIT: Apologies regarding the extra delay for the winners. We were up late determining the winners that last night (3 AM) and by the time we were done, we decided to make the thread today (it typically takes more than an hour to type it all up).
    Last edited by TriforceBun; January 8th, 2011 at 11:38 AM.

hmm...I think I have an idea involving Eario...
    no clue yet though. lD
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus18 View Post
    I think that sounds like a great idea, considering the entire point of Chibi-robo is cleaning up a house.*sigh* man, I miss playing that game...

My current idea is "Mr. Flower's Great Adventure". After being charred by Mr. Sun over and over, Mr. Flower can't take it anymore and decides to leave his plot of dirt to explore other places to live. During his travels, he comes across the Mushroom Kingdom, where Mario mistakes him for a Fire Flower and attempts to create fire with him, Kanto, where he is mistaken for a dwarfed Vileplume by either Ash or Pokemon Trainer, caught, and thrown into battle against a Gyarados, Yoshi's Island, where Yoshi eats him and turns him into an egg, along with a few other of the flower-looking things whose names I can't remember, and then he might go to a few other places...

Cute Little Poot

Detta, what about pikmen??

Quote Originally Posted by jugajoga View Post
    Detta, what about pikmen??

Thank you. I entirely forgot about that, actually... despite how much I love Pikmin 2... *starts thinking about "Ai no Uta"* TT^TT
    That probably makes it enough references. Now I just have to find some more time to work on it...

Now you got "Ai No Uta" stuck in my head...

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

lame and unfunny entries are go
    like seriously I just wanted to draw the sun but okay

The Sun Struggles with Jealousy

lame filenames are also go
    ORIGIN OF ANGRY SUNS

the main problem I have with this is that I couldn't figure out a very nice way to end this, it seems to come off as quite unfinished and as if there should be a part two, and also the "plotline" may seem quite unclear to anyone with half a brain or a full one if they're lucky
    it is not deserving of anything, just maybe a few glances and whisperings of "gee Kenz smells bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Metaknight4ever View Post
    lame and unfunny entries are go
    like seriously I just wanted to draw the sun but okay

The Sun Struggles with Jealousy

lame filenames are also go
    ORIGIN OF ANGRY SUNS
    Lulz, for a half second I thought you had stolen my idea before I read the rest of it. Mine's in purple too :P
    That's hilarious. I remembered a few smash-ups I made that sort of explored Mr. Sun and Mr. Flower's relationship. It was mostly just Mr. Sun repeatedly incinerating the earth though.
    That also reminded me of one of the ideas I had last month, with Mr. Sun asking for Mr. Flower's forgiveness.
    But I digress...

I always hated the Angry Sun from... wasn't it Super Mario Bros 3? I think it was, since it certainly wasn't Super Mario World.

Thread Information