Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **October 2010**

Administrator Forum Administrator fiftyeighthens's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **October 2010**

It's Halloween, that ghastly time of the year when ghouls and ghosts manifest themselves into our realm. The silent hills conceal the evil that resides around every corner: the dead are rising, zombies are eating your neighbors, and you are alone in the dark. At the 11th Hour, when the clock tower tolls a fearsome knell, you'll need all your wits about you if you don't want to be left for dead.

That's the theme of October's Fan Art contest: Halloween and spooky stuff! As always, we received a bunch of great entries from a lot of talented artists, so it was tough to pick the nominees - you can see the thread of all the great submissions here.

This is it. Don't get scared now.

Our Favorite Entries (in alphabetical order)
    (Click to enlarge!)

Ame-Nami's entry:

Ruh-roh, Dedede! Kirby and Dedede are a natural pick for the role of meddling mystery-solvers who get themselves way in over their heads. We liked the cute Scooby costume that Kirby's wearing, and Dedede could certainly pull off the gluttonous Shaggy (though he shows that love for food a bit more than the skinny Shag). I'm not sure who's hiding in that Bowser costume, but there's no way our heroes are hanging around to find out!

Detta's entry:

Here we have a rather chilling take on Dededoo's cleaning of clocks. I can really feel Kirby's adorable apprehension as this briefcase-carrying apparition stands in his doorway, gazing at Kirby (or his clock) with malicious (or clock-cleaning) intent. Whatever happens in the next few minutes, a clock is definitely going to get cleaned... one way or another.

dragonfrog's entry:

Attractive texture work and great tombstone inscriptions make this image a very enjoyable one. A highly detailed ghost chases these guys out of the graveyard, and while I can't blame them for running from a ghost, he doesn't really look all that threatening. He's just looking at them like that. What were they doing in the graveyard late at night, anyway? I like to imagine it had something to do with Dedede and a double-dog-dare.

Gray Fox's entry:

When all the evil in the universe is swarming around you, all you need are some great friends at your side. Anything from zombies, Bongo Bongo, the moon, and even Giygas himself can be overcome through the power of teamwork and friendship! Well, maybe not Tingle. We liked the epic composition of this image that pits our heroes against endless legions of evil.

ice cream soup's entry:

Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" is improved upon considerably by ice cream soup's addition of the BitF cast. It's easy to see why Dedede would be sorrowful of his lost WAA - what a looker. It seems like Dedede's chief emotion of the evening would be annoyance, rather than fear and madness, which suits the characters' relationships quite well. It also looks quite nice, with each character drawn in a charming and expressive manner.

Lamer_Than_You's entry:

Lamer_Than_You knocks another one out of the park with a fifth astounding art contest entry! We love the costumes chosen for the depicted characters, and it's drawn lovingly with Lamer_Than_You's endearing art style. Eario (dressed as his hero Mario) seems to not quite know what to make of Kirby's elaborate Marx costume. We hope that Lamer_Than_You never puts down those colored pencils!

Mint's entry:

Where there's a party, there's a prankster - and where there's a prankster, there's Dedede. He's lobbing what appear to be Yoshi eggs at Kirby and friends, which is just the kind of stinky business he'd be up to on Halloween! The art style's really cute and we liked the extra details peppered throughout the image.

Hey, wait a minute. Those Yoshi eggs are in a paper egg carton, like the ones that hold chicken eggs in the real world. If Yoshi eggs are sold like chicken eggs, then does that mean Yoshis are bred and farmed like chickens? Do they have giant warehouses full of Yoshis pooping out eggs onto conveyor belts? Do they eat Yoshis like chickens, too? Oh man... I've got to sit down.

ShakerSilver's entry:

"Darkness falls across the land / the midnight hour is close at hand. Creatures crawl in search of blood / they terrorize your neighborhood!" This stylish tribute to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has our zombified BitF cast dancing to Waluigi's tune as Daisy looks on skeptically. We thought this image captured the character of last year's Halloween comics as well as Daisy's lack of enthusiasm for Waluigi's nutty (if rockin') ideas.

TheBovine's entry:

TheBovine's well-drawn portrayal of a BitF Costume Party really nailed the character of each member of the cast with a great costume. Note Falcon holding a cup of "punch", Link and Zelda as Luke and Leia from Star Wars, and King Dedede dressed up as none other than Kingsonnn Dededoo. Apparently, Kirby forgot to eat someone before he came to this costume party. A lonely Eario looks on.

TMJ-JJ's entry:

Whoa! TMJ-JJ's submission was quite possibly the scariest image of the contest - it certainly spooked Matthew, what with those red eyes just... staring. The jagged art style adds to the creepy and abnormal feel of the characters. I'd hate to suddenly find myself looking at a line of my best friends gazing back with soulless, malevolent, glowing red eyeballs. Kirby looks like he's got something unpleasant in store, and I'd probably take a page from Ame-Nami's entry and book it!

So those are our entries, which were quite an ordeal to narrow down. Without further ado, the winner of the October 2010 BitF Fan Art Contest is...

Lamer_Than_You!

We've really loved each of Lamer_Than_You's entries, and this one has tons of cool stuff in it. Each character's costume is lovely and really suits their characters, the art style is well-defined and full of character as always, and the image is just a completely appealing and detailed work that depicts one precious moment from the lives of these characters. Thanks for the great submission, Lamer_Than_You!

So, that wraps up another month's contest. Thanks to everyone who entered for your great submissions! We're done with the spooky stuff - check out next month's thread for a venture into well-known works of art from around the world, starring your favorite BitF characters! See you there!
    Last edited by fiftyeighthens; November 3rd, 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **October 2010**

Congrats to Lamer_Than_You, all the runners-up, and thanks to those who entered! Deciding on the number one pick took a ridiculous amount of time as always.

One thing I'd like to add regarding the contests: we're considering doing an "Artist Spotlight" after enough contests go through. Essentially, if we have repeat artists with several works that end up being showcased over the course of several contests (as runners-up or winners), we'll create a special thread highlighting their submissions, and link to them from Fan Works! So keep sending in those excellent works!
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Aww, I thought that that the grim ReapWAA I did was aweosme but I loved all these entries. Hilariously entertaining I enjoy all their works and congrats to the winners.
    Monster Hunter Generations | Name: Yami G | HR: ???

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    Xbox: YamiGekusu | PSN: YamiGekusu | Nintendo Network: YamiGekusu

Whatever happens, happens. Forum Veteran Mkan's Avatar

As soon as I saw Lamer_Than_You's drawing I knew it was going to be the winner.

Great job!

And I really need to get up off my butt and draw something for the next contest.
    by JSG

Thanks for this, Brawl Girl! Ah Monstah's Avatar

Well I didn't get a runnerup, but for a good reason.
    Everyone elses was pure awesome dipped in awesome sauce!

Sigpic by Mint. Fangs for it!...Wait, I don't have any. THE PUN IS LOST.

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

I SAW THIS COMING.

Congrats Lamer_than_you, you definitely deserved to win this round!
    Especially with the effort you put into all your entries. Keep it up!

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Oh well, once again I don't make runner-up... congrats to lamer than you, really, that's pretty darn awesome.

Awesome job, Lamer_than_you and all the other runners-up! :D

For those of you who are curious... It's strawberrry... yogurttoad's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm here. Sometimes over there. Sometimes, I'm way over there. But usually I'm here.

Way to go guys! Good job, Lamer_than_you, you proved that computers aren't always the answer with your awesome hand drawn entry.
    My first lvl 100:

Congrats everyone and Lamer_than_you!
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

The World's Biggest Procrastinator ShakerSilver's Avatar

Ah well, maybe next month I'll win. Congrats, Lamer_than_you!
    The one and only ShakerSilver, from YouTube, DeviantArt, and (soon) Newgrounds! GO CHECK OUT WHY I'M NOT FAMOUS! O.o

THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF!

Aw....Lamer_Than_You!!! great job! after constantly getting runner up, you win it! excellent entry!

The one who Lurks Lamer_Than_You's Avatar

Doo dee doo dee doooo~ I wonder who won the contest, doo dee doo dee d--

OH MY GOODNESS

I WON

*explodes*

I had to contain my excitement since I'm in a library. ono;;

But... Woah! I won! This is exciting. I'm very excited.
    I'm glad you all liked it!

Star Warrior

I'll do better next time. Partly by sticking closer to the theme.

First I'd like to examine the results. I still love Lamer_Than_You's (by the way, I can't get Shift and - mixed in with Space...guess it's a reflex) coloring style, and Eario's face is hilarious. But ShakeSivler's (or TheBovine's?) still steals favor just at the references and Waluigi's Crotch Chop Crotch Grab.

I DID intend to make a submission, but I drew this during a free peiod in my Sketchbook and my Art Teacher collected them at the end of that day, only giving them back now.

Not that it's too good, but I would've just liked it to be there, ya know? I still need to work on shadow and Kirby's frickin' feet (only now realizing I FORGOT HIS ARMS). Also that the scanner makes it a little more light and whatnot. Well I say CREEPY ENOUGH! DX
    THIS MONTH I SAY! THIS MOOOOOONTH!

This user listens to video game music.

And it starts to snow in the streets of Mexico Piemaster's Avatar

awwww... I thought I would be able to hit the Spotlight this time... Oh well
    Lamer_Than_You totally earned it anyway :D
    congrats!
    I'm still around, friends. Just not here. Contact me okay?

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/4td0/
    Discord : 4td0#8859
    Email: jmh_4td0@hotmail.com
    Twitter: 4td0
    Youtube: The4td0

Kirby, did you ate my money again? TMJ-JJ's Avatar

WooT! Runner up :D.

Congrets L_T_Y!
    Ok then. My signature isn't obvously the best, but who reads them, anyways? I do not care.
    Go ahead, tell me if you finished readin' this, I bet you didn't, because you didn't care.
    Oh! Now you think I'm crazy! No, of course I'm not. I know you are still thinking I'm crazy, I don't care about it, I care that what I said was right. You didn't read this, 'cause if you did, you'll be mad right now, the world is always happy, right? I can change that, thanks to my lonely life as a nerd. Enjoy your cookie while I'm still sitting in this world, right next to my bed.

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

EET EEZ GOOD DAY TO BE Lamer_Than_You!
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

Coolness, I made runner up again! although i didn't expect my dededoo to dededo so well. I would've spent some more time making it look good.

since the next one is famous art themed, i might as well try my hand at a physical pencil again. I had a brilliant (as in, light-brilliant *hint-hint*) idea for November's.

Oh yay!!! Congradulations to Lamer-Than-You, who is most definitely not lamer than me! In other words, yay, runner up!
    And, I think Dedede just put some yoshi eggs in a regular carton. Personally, I don't believe Yoshi eggs are particularly good eatins'.
    Last edited by Mint; November 4th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Brawl FC: 1334-2074-5606

Yum

Yay! Haven't been posting comments much, but just wanted to quickly say that this was a buncha fun. I was very impressed with these entries! And congrats to the winner!

Cute Little Poot Princess Piranha's Avatar

Nice entries! I especially liked TheBovine's entry. So much detail xD BatKnight! <3

Good job everyone!

We Rise as a Magical Girl, And We Fall as a Witch... Erygirl's Avatar

Congrats Lamer_Than_You!I really like that drawing of yours and the others you made.I hope you might win again in November.

Know my power ... in art. SonicStar23750's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    One thing I'd like to add regarding the contests: we're considering doing an "Artist Spotlight" after enough contests go through. Essentially, if we have repeat artists with several works that end up being showcased over the course of several contests (as runners-up or winners), we'll create a special thread highlighting their submissions, and link to them from Fan Works! So keep sending in those excellent works!
    Please don't ban me for saying this. Are you sure that is such a good idea?

I think I understand what you want to do, and it sounds like a very nice thing to do for talented artists (like Lamer_Than_You, for example), but what if others try to compare themselves with those artists? They might become despondent about entering the future contests thinking that they couldn't make something as good.

I'm not asking you to scrap the idea. I'm just saying that this has happened in the past before outside here, and even good ideas have had bad outcomes.

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

It'd be silly if Matt banned you for an opinionion. But that aside, I think it's a matter of opinion of who would do that. I think it's an excellent idea (I'm kinda hoping I could get something out of it pretty much anyway since I doubt I'll win a contest any time soon even if my entries get runner-ups whenever I do enter) for those who make an excellent bit of work but can't quite surpass the rest. The "what if" factor of something shouldn't always hold an idea back, especially if the idea would benefit people more than it would hurt them. The people who compare themselves to "those artists" may or may not be good artists themselves and may just be crying for attention anyway or who knows what, I dunno. I just don't think that everyone should get screwed out of a bit of artistic glory just for the sake of no hurt feelings. People who lose the contests get hurt anyway to begin with, that can't be avoided unless you want every Johnny Two-Second MSPaintman to win alongside with Sally Ten-Day-Hard-Work Painter. Johnny Two-Second MSPaintman gets despondent about entering as well, and it's almost a good thing considering nothing will become of their two-second work.

Every idea has a negative effect somehow, it's just how "political correctness" comes into play. Or something.

That's my half a cent there

Thread Information