Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 6 -- November 2010 Edition~

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 6 -- November 2010 Edition~

Salutations, artists! Since June, the Fan Works section of the site has gradually been updated with quality art from you BitFers, and that's swell as heck. But it's still a little low on art, so I'm relying on you guys to help fill it!

Once a month, every month, we hold a Brawl in the Family Fan Art Contest. The winner will be immortalized in BitF history by having his or her art forever featured in the Fan Works section! But remember--we'll need a solid number of entries to work with, so if we don't get enough for the month, we might have to judge those entries with the next month's. (this hasn't happened yet, thankfully, but it's always good to cover our tracks)

Now then, onto DA RULES:

-Any and all media is fine. Draw/scan, paint, do digital images, whatever! You can post big ol' wallpaper-sized images or even straight-up comics! The only limit is your imaaagination.

-Keep it pleasant. For content, a good rule of thumb is don't show or say anything in the art that you'd never find in a Nintendo-published game or a BitF strip. So keep it a light PG at worst, please.

-It should be original! Mash-ups and borrowed Nintendo art (including sprites) probably won't win you any awards. It's possible someone might do something extremely creative by using official art, but for the most part it'd be best to avoid this.

-Post it here! You may email or PM us images if you'd like, but it's easiest if you just post your artwork here in this thread for judging. Deadlines will be 11:59 PM on the last day of the month in question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JUDGING CRITERIA

As always, Chris and I (Matthew, resident doodler of BitF) will be taking a look at the entries and racking our brains trying to narrow them down to just a handful. They'll be judged on composition, adherence to the theme, use of color/shading (if applicable), use of humor (if applicable), and just...like, if it's any good.

Update on judging criterion: we've noticed while judging these that we have a tendency to prefer works that feel more specifically BitF than rather Nintendo as a whole. In other words, the better you can represent the strip and characters itself, the better your chances of winning!

Also, feel free to submit multiple entries, but you're limited to three per contest! If you want to submit more than that, you'll have to pick which three you'd like us to judge. There's no limit to how many contests you can win or be nominated for, so keep the great stuff coming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now then, let's get onto the current contest--NOVEMBER 2010! Halloween has come and gone, and normalcy is returning to BitF. With the coming Autumn days, the vibrant hues of the falling leaves are sure to fill one with tranquility and memories of past works of magnificence. If that felt like a segue, that's because it is...!

This month's theme:
    Famous Works of Art

Check your oeuvre at the door and draw from famous art at any point in history! Since "art" can be a wide term, we're going to exclude the Disney theme from earlier contests in the equation. However, we've already gotten a couple of snippets of this theme from past contests (namely the history one), so we're looking forward to seeing you guys go all-out with it. Also, while comics and comic strips would normally qualify, I think we'll be saving that for a future contest. Things to consider:

-Famous paintings in general
    -Sculptures
    -Modern/pop art
    -Wood prints
    -Surrealism
    -Minimalism ("TERRIBLE.")

So future Picassos and da Vincis of the world, grab that hypothetical brush and whip up a masterpiece!

Last edited by TriforceBun; November 1st, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Re: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 6 -- November 2010 Edition~

I am probably likely to possibly compete in this one.

The World's Biggest Procrastinator ShakerSilver's Avatar

Oh I like this theme, might be a bit hard though.
    Last edited by ShakerSilver; November 2nd, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    The one and only ShakerSilver, from YouTube, DeviantArt, and (soon) Newgrounds! GO CHECK OUT WHY I'M NOT FAMOUS! O.o

THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF!

Star Warrior

It's NaNoWriMo, but I expect to make time for this.

I'm already having some ideas, but it'll be hard to make them look good.
    if I even enter. xD
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

oooh, I forgot about last month
    oh well, I have deviantart for whatever I finished (which wasn't much so it's not so bad)

I can do this one most definitely, emulating style is like the best thing ever

O Blarg! This will be fun, it will really push me, but hey, why not.
    Can the art be Albums from music? not like I would do that
    Last edited by Valor; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks for this, Brawl Girl! Ah Monstah's Avatar

I've got my first idea, and everyone will be able to relate to it.

Sigpic by Mint. Fangs for it!...Wait, I don't have any. THE PUN IS LOST.

Cute Little Poot

First sketch of my entry:

I'm liking this theme, but I'm just a little confused. So are we supposed to base it off of a piece of art, or can it be a completely creative idea that we think of?

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

*cracks knuckles*

It's go time...
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

LOL These are great themes. I'm definitely going to have to think about this one.

here's a pretty rough sketch of my first idea. (no clue if I'll actually use it, but I really wanted to get it out before I forgot. xD)

By leafeon95

Luigi's version of "The Thinker". I have a feeling he'll call it "The Luigi".
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus18 View Post
    I'm liking this theme, but I'm just a little confused. So are we supposed to base it off of a piece of art, or can it be a completely creative idea that we think of?
    Good question. One approach is going with a direct parody, like some of the entries from the August contest. Or like these below:

The second approach is in doing a piece of work in the style of a well-known artist or work of art. This Picasso Goomba doesn't really resemble any direct painting of Picasso (as far as I know), but is recognizable as something in that style.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Another excellent theme to work with. I do have a question, though. When you say "Famous Works of Art", does can that include anything that is considered art, such as literature?

Thanks, I have ideas for both, so I was just wondering.

The one who Lurks Lamer_Than_You's Avatar

For this one, I'm actually drawing up blanks... I may come up with SOMETHING, but I dunno yet.

Though I did do a project similar to this for my Painting class.. I took the Blue Boy painting and replaced the boy with Elpizo.
    I'm GUESSING that's what the contest implies.

Well, weather or not I come up with something, the best of luck to all of yous!~

Okay, have my idea from the poster in my room. Also, the melty clocks and Dededo was already taken, but this one may be a better idea. Now let's see how I can imitate this...
    As well as NaNaksdjhgzjdh whatever that November Writing Contest is called (I know this is the internet as well as someone already saying it), I shall actually try hard for this. As I am tied on this.
    And can you define art? Someone said literature but also could remixed lyrics to songs be acceptable? Dunno if a theme song to a popular show counts as famous, though.

This user listens to video game music.

Back from a long, long journey That Freaking Charmander's Avatar

Oh my waddle dee i just gotta enter this one!

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

Difficult theme is difficult.

I have a good idea, but it depends whether or not i have enough time to actually draw it.
    If I do finish, it's not going to be an impressionist or Picasso styled piece, but something by a 20th century American illustrator.

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

I have question:
    can it be game concept art? or would you rather us be creative and use actual art from the older times?

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Ahh...now I think I can do this one. Should we include the original with our submission?
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Hmm...

I'm debating over an original work in a traditional wood print style or a da Vinci themed work. I have to enter one of these sooner or later.

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

OKAY! My picture is a parody of Still Life: Vase with Twelve Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh titled Still Life: Vase with Twelve Nintendo Plants done in crayon and pencil. Unfortunately, because it was in crayon, the scanner didn't really show the differences between dandelion and goldenrod (yes, there is a difference. Subtle, but there in person.)

Original:

Mine:

Like the original, there are twelve plants: the 5 Pikmin, a Fire Flower, an Ice Flower, a Lovely (from KSS/U), a Bellsprout, an Amazy Dayzee, an Ocarina-of-Time-styled Deku Baba, and, of course, a Piranha Plant. The Lovely and Amazy Dayzee are supposed to have a color difference between their center and petals (the center is supposed to be darker), but like I said, the scanner doesn't show that subtle difference.

I'm not too sure that I'll win, but for me, this is pretty great, despite the uneven coloration (mostly in the background) and the inaccuracy of crayons when trying to color in small spaces (like the White Pikmin's eyes) :P And yes, you can still see some pencil outlines, but I wasn't too sure if I was gonna color in the background and so for the yellows and White Pikmin, I used pencil to show that it was there more clearly since pencil is more precise than black crayon. Despite all of that, though, I like it. It's original and given my elementary school art schooling, pretty good!

As a last note, coloring with crayons is quite the workout xD

LAST last note: You get a cookie if you can identify the game that the vase is from.
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

k, I totally call this idea:
    Mr. Ona LiSun!
    Basically, Mona Lisa and Mr. Sun combined. I might attempt to fit Mr. Flower in there as well. Oh, the irony of the "enigmatic smile" changing into the "Mr. Sun" smile. i just couldn't think of any other way to fit Mr. Sun into anything else besides the melty clock one.
    which appears to be taken by person427 at the moment. Unless you don't mind me doing the melty clock one too.

and also, would "famous" art from BitF work? e.g., waluigi's paintings..?

Thread Information