Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **September 2010**

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **September 2010**

Another month has passed, which means more quality BitF fan art to pick from! Yes, by the end of this post, one of YOU will claim your very own corner on the Fan Works page forever! As always, we'll be linking to this thread on the main page as well, to showcase our favorite entries below.

This month's theme was even more difficult to narrow down, as we received around twice as many entries as our first Fan Art contest! This is definitely a good thing, despite the headaches it gives Chris and myself, as it means even more quality art to check out! For September, the theme was a bit open to interpretation: BitF + Disney. You guys latched onto that theme and ran with it like Dash Parr at a track meet. The entries touched down on stuff from Pixar films to animated TV shows, but the most prevalent parodies--unsurprisingly--were of Disney's classic movies themselves.

So strap on those Mickey ears, top 'em with a Mario hat, and let's head on down to the Wonderful World of Disnintendo!

CLICK THE ENTRIES TO ENLARGE THEM!

Our Favorite Entries (in alphabetical order)

Baltarouzz's entry

Whoa! I wasn't expecting a 124-panel comic when deciding on the theme, but Baltarouzz's charming homage to Wall-E (2008) breezes by with a fantastically cute story mirroring the events of the film. There are several fun gags included (such as Mario falling through the floor, Dedede being impressed by the Kuribo's Shoe, and the ending) as well as some neat nods to the strip itself, like the reference to comic 020 - Savior (remember that fossil?). Adeleine is an inspired choice for EVE and the whole thing is cute and funny enough to definitely deserve a mention. It's simple and clever, which in a way is what BitF is supposed to be all about!

DarkLugiaMaster-Gir's entry

The obliviously-destructive (or is that destructively-oblivious?) Sun gazes down at a friendly scene from China's storied history. If you remember the premise of Disney's entertaining movie Mulan (1998), the cleverness of using Samus in this role shouldn't be lost on you. Samus's fighting prowess is so well-honed, in fact, that even the normally ill-mannered Dedede, Meta Knight and Waluigi seem noticeably impressed.

detta's entry

Presented here is one of many pieces parodying the popular Aladdin (1992), but the only entry that's fully sung and semi-animated! Detta, through the magic of video, presents a scene where Dedede and his skeptical pal Adeleine discover a lamp with a surprise inside! There are a ton of panels in here and some cool, quick nods to the comic as well (such as Dedede's babes from comic 164 - Under New Management). Despite the magic he's spinnin', Dedede still doesn't think he's got a friend in the puffball by the song's end. Might need to get another master, Kirby!

garfunkeless's entry (#1)

This Beauty and the Beast (1991) homage is just immediately funny to me. Not only does Waluigi make for a great "beast" of the story, but Daisy fits equally well as the orange-and-yellow-clad chestnut-haired Belle. Unlike in the movie, though, Belle's idyllic view of true love seems a bit warped due to the snaggle-toothed oddball standing before her. Will Waluigi's quirks turn away the lovely princess? Or will true love prevail and break the spell, transforming the beast into a...um, handsome...Waluigi? Also, does this mean Luigi is Gaston? Somehow I doubt he uses antlers in all of his decorating.

garfunkeless's entry (#2)

An entrant so nice we had to feature 'em twice! We felt that both of these pieces from garfunkeless deserved mention, and here's a second Aladdin homage. This one's a bit more romantic, focusing on the budding love between a young Jasmine Jigglypuff and her charming street rat beau. The composition is nicely centered, with the background romance being a nice touch.

Lamer_Than_You's entry

Four in a row! Lamer_Than_You once again delivers the goods with a cool art style and a great use of the characters. Adeleine finds herself surrounded by madness in the form of Kirby (in appropriate ninja garb as the Cheshire Cat), Dedede (as the King of Hearts), Link (as the caterpillar), Waddle Dee (the White Rabbit) and the Mario Bros (Mad Hatter and March Hare), plus a plethora of Waddle Dee guards! Naturally, this is a charming homage to Disney's Alice in Wonderland (1951) and the fun little details help sell it as usual. Keep 'em coming, Lamer_Than_You!

miss_anthy's entry

This watercolor-esque image hearkens back to the Sorcerer's Apprentice sequence of Disney's Fantasia (1940). Kirby and Meta Knight fit snugly into their roles, while the composition is particularly impressive: shadows adorn the walls of the arena, giving a nice sense of scope and depth to the image while Kirby bobs helplessly on the waves. It's dynamic and exciting, just like in the film!

Preasure's entry

No doubt an iconic image from The Lion King (1994), Rafiki lifts up the young cub in a triumphant rite of--wait a minute...! This colorful image really displays the majesty of a blob thing being hoisted upwards by a baboon. The bright palette and sharp linework make it almost look like a frame straight from the film itself, if it weren't for Kirby. Rafiki looks strangely happy about the new future king; moments later, however, there was much panic on Pride Rock as Kirby began devouring the giraffes.

sevenstitch's entry

If any Brawler fits the title of "Greek demigod," it's gotta be Captain Douglas J. Falcon. Pikachu as Phil is a little more surprising, but no less inspired, as they clearly have the same body shape. This image is based on some fun promotional art for the movie Hercules (1997), but it fits just as well with these two characters, and it's drawn and colored particularly well. Hades better step back, as he's got a Falcon Punch in store.

Spazboy225's entry

Here's Waluigi as Jafar doing what he does best: conniving. This night scene has atmosphere to spare and the style and detail on Waluigi and the environments is well-done as always (from returning entrant Spazboy225). Kirby as the Cave of Wonders is an inspired choice, but of particular note is Spazboy's signature: Snake's butt. Once again, it sneaks its way into the frame as Waluigi's "Snake" staff (wordplay that I just got as I was typing this)...and what could be more hypnotically mesmerizing than Snake's robust cheeks? On a side note, Spazboy also made another image involving Snake himself as the genie, with the beginning's of a parody song (that I'd love to hear finished!).

TheBovine's entry

Based on Pinocchio (1940), this lovely image has a menacing King Dedede playing the role of gruff puppeteer Stromboli, while Kirby takes on the role of the titular youth (although I wonder if he grows a nose when lying?). The posing and expression of the two leads is quality, but the icing on the cake is the plethora of Smash Bros items lying on the table next to the duo. It's just a solid entry all-around and I hope to see more from TheBovine.

zaleladra's entry

Newcomer zaleladra steps in with this charming color pencil piece inspired by Aladdin's balcony scene. In a Starman-studded sky, Mario (who's been working out!) leans in to say goodnight while a moon-sized Kirby admires from afar. Thank goodness Mario's monkey pal Donkey Kong isn't around to spoil the mood by stealing the girl (and possibly hurling barrels at our hero). It's a quality, colorful work and it's great seeing all you newcomers joining for the art contests! Hope to see more from all of you in the future!

So those are our entries, which were quite difficult to narrow down. Even trickier was deciding the winner, which we had narrowed down to a full five (!) entries before honing in on our all-around favorite. The winner of the September 2010 BitF Fan Art Contest is...

Spazboy225!

All things considered, the simple elegance and quality linework of this piece hit the right notes for us. Kirby and Waluigi fit their roles like gloves, while the absurd use of Snake tops off the image with some humor. And a little background detail goes a long way, helping to add to the sneaky night atmosphere. It represents the BitF side of things and the Disney side of things equally well, and looks darn good in the process.

So that's it for this month's contest. Thanks to everyone who entered, and for another set of great submissions! If you're sick of this cuddly Disney stuff, head on over to October's Contest and start drawing spooky things. See you there!
    Last edited by TriforceBun; October 3rd, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **September 2010**

AMAZING ENTRIES And congrats.

Detta's entry isn't appearing...

I LOVED Lamer_Than_You's entry and the Wall-e one! BEAUTIFULL

EDIT: Detta appears!
    Last edited by JSG; October 3rd, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

The art for this month was amazing! Congratulations, everybody. I look forward to the next one. =D

I honestly couldn't tell who was going to win this one.

Oh, and I just now understood the usage of Snake's butt for Jafar's snake staff.

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

Congrats to Spazboy! Nice to know snake's butt slithered it's way into the winning piece
    I'm actually kinda surprised my musical comic made it in.

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

I thought Miss_Anthy's was the best, but almost all the other ones give great competition. Good job, everyone! Maybe I should enter one of these days...

Arghhhh! I swear I'll get at least in the runner ups one day!

Still, congrats to the winners and such.

what a good contest!!! nice job Spazboy! the runner ups were amazing, I see how hard judging might be

To Infinity and Beyond! DarkLugiaMaster-Gir's Avatar

Talking Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **September 2010**

Yeah I'm a Runner-Up !
    Good Job Spazboy on winning!
    Also in case anyone was wondering the shadow people from my PatF entry were
    A Goomba
    A Shyguy
    Wart
    Tatanga
    And Cassidy (From Pokemon)
    Last edited by DarkLugiaMaster-Gir; October 4th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Leenk.
    In Hyrule, 32nd Street, Kaikariko Village

Ah, man.

I didn't make it this time.

Oh well. I tried.
    Navi: "HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN! HEY, LISTEN!"

Me: " Yes, Navi, I know we're supposed to be in the stinkin' water temple."

Joke's on you, I'm not wearing any pants! Spazboy225's Avatar

I won?

I WON?

Ehm, wow. Ahm, I really don't know what to say, I thought Detta's would win for being, y'know, ANIMATED.
    ~Tumblr for Spazboy225~

~Come see Spazboy225's Deviant Art Page!~

(I also take requests and do commisions! I need the money!)

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8022-3397

Hm. I didn't get mentioned, but I wasn't expecting to. My images are not as good quality as it could be.

I just wish I could use my scanner again...

congrats to the winner!

Currently Obsessed with Primary Colors JKLM's Avatar

You know, I really thought the Nightmare before christmas spoof deserved a place here. Most clever in my opinion. GET OFF OF WALUIGI HILL.
    It also looked nice. But still, I haven't looked in a while, so a lot of these are ones I've never seen. This so far has been the best contest.
    PUT THE BUNNY BACK IN THE FREAKING BOX

Quote Originally Posted by MrMystery View Post
    You know, I really thought the Nightmare before christmas spoof deserved a place here. Most clever in my opinion. GET OFF OF WALUIGI HILL.
    It also looked nice. But still, I haven't looked in a while, so a lot of these are ones I've never seen. This so far has been the best contest.
    what, you mean mine? i might enter it in the halloween one, but only if I don't come up with three entries first.
    I already have two thought up, both currently somewhat in the making though.
    EDIT: First one's up on the october thread.
    Last edited by Detta; October 4th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.

It's a Mii, Plaid! Plaid Tuxedo's Avatar

Awh, I didn't get mentioned... Oh well. I am going ALL OUT for next month's contest!

I have to say that, even though I like the way that Waluigi is drawn in the winning submission, Lamer_Than_You's has got to be my favorite. The coloring and character roles has it for me. I really did my submission for character roles (and fun, of course). And I think it could make a good iPod Touch Wallpaper.

Garfunkeless's entry (#1) with TB's insight is a runner up for my favorite. Gotta love the face!

I also had a last minute idea mix of Pleasure's entry with Yoshi holding up empty air as Kamek carries Baby Mario away. Too bad it was a last minute idea! But I now have a month for October. A MONTH! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Last edited by Chocolate Kirby; October 4th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

This user listens to video game music.

Cute Little Poot

Great job everyone! Super thrilled to have been a runner-up on my first try....hope I can submit some more stuff from time to time

And hey, speak of the winner - the new comic's mouseover text! Although that probably wasn't planned.

Off topic: man, two of you have avatars ripped straight off deviantART.
    THIS, and THIS

And no-one steals from THE VAP and gets away with it. I'm reporting you guys!
    WALUIGI IS BACK. NOW THE COMIC IS FUNNY AGAIN.

Administrator Forum Administrator fiftyeighthens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLupineOne View Post
    THIS, and THIS

If you're being serious: using someone else's art as your avatar on a forum isn't "stealing." If anything, it's a tribute to the fact that you like their work. Matthew's pretty excited whenever he sees someone on another forum with a BitF avatar.

As for the contest, it's really exciting to get so many great submissions, and it can be quite difficult to determine which ones to nominate. I'm really looking forward to what you all come up with for October's contest!

Those were great! I Really loved KIRB-E!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mouser
    All users go. I may soon disappear. There is no need to dawdle on in the past. Let my words enlighten anyone who reads them.
    Tumblr - mint0h

The Amazing, not The Modest 0.o's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonLv.X View Post
    Those were great! I Really loved KIRB-E!
    Me too, Its a shame Baltarouzz put so much effort in to that and lost to Snake's butt(dont get me wrong, I liked the waluigi art also).
    I personally thought they were all great but we all know only one can win.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLupineOne View Post
    THIS, and THIS

If you were going to report somebody, why not just do so instead of making a public outcry in an art competition topic. I also believe you are using an avatar not made by you, but would I seriously report you for it?

Cute Little Poot

Wow... runner up! That's awesome!

I really did love so many of the entries (but I'm secretly glad an aladdin parody won).

Thread Information